Tuesday 16 February 2010

Getting ready to go - girl

It's been a long time coming, as some song said. But here we are, just one more full day in the UK. We're sitting in an almost empty flat, C's playing on his phone and I'm on the computer - I'm wondering if this is a bad sign before spending six months in each other's company!

C finished work around two weeks ago, I finished last Wednesday. We're both liberated now although I don't feel as if I have stopped running since I stopped working. A lot of nagging from me, some quality sitting from C, eventually some good organising from C and less nagging from me. We have both been injected up to the hilt (actually all injections were well above the hilt!), have both bought cold weather gear, wet weather gear, warm weather gear - when did travelling get a) so expensive? b) so heavy? I think the answer must be 'when we stopped being 19'. C21 travelling is also different to C20 travelling - iPod? Check. iTouch? Check? Cameras 2? Check. Computer? Check. The list appears to go on.

This weekend was all about family good byes - my family first. Parents, brother and sister-in-law. Different to saying goodbye as a teenager off on first travels. We've all done it before, we all go, we all come back, we stay in touch and know we're all loved. Nothing new. C's family next. Parents, his sister, our two month old nephew. Just miss seeing his brother and our other nephew - real shame. Hugs, discussions, computer problems and lots of dancing with new nephew.

Today, up, tidying, faffing and finally getting all our final stuff in to storage - it all seems to boil down to a few boxes. Reminds me of the old person who died with just some personal possessions in the bedside table. Good or bad? I have no idea.

Tomorrow, should be a bit calmer and then it's 'over and out England, come in world'. Now the excitement is building. We're really going, we really have left our stable jobs for the unknown. I'm proud of us.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it IS different from when you went travelling as a student. This feel like real, serious travelling. As you are a pair, I fear you may try to do things that you might not have done when you were travelling previously. I know you will remember that you have lots of people at home who love you and will be thinking about you both, constantly, but none more so than your families. You're right, we love you and although we are thrilled at your upcoming adventures, we also can't wait for you to come home again, safe and well, to be hugged and kissed and wrapped in family warmth and safety.
    Take care of each other and stay safe.
    Love you always. xx

    ReplyDelete