Saturday 5 September 2009

Brother's wedding - girl

My baby brother got married last weekend. How else can I say it? I guess he's no longer my baby brother. I have to admit that he's all grown up and he's no longer entirely mine. I have to share him with another girl. Of course, he hasn't been 'mine' for years and that's how it should be but this was really a watershed. I love my brother and I'm thrilled he's found his half orange but it feels a bit weird in a totally nonsensical, non logical way.
Col and I met up at St Pancras and hung out in the lounge until our train arrived. I do love the lounge - so much fun to eat and drink for free.
The 'hotel' that wasn't a hotel was ok. Not loving the foam bed or the non insulating walls. Find it hilarious that the hotel owner claimed she didn't want us to turn up late because she has to get up early to prepare breakfast: breakfast was bread and cheese. I'd love to know what she 'prepared'.
The town hall service was lovely. I loved sitting at the front with Leo (I was his witness). It really meant a lot that he wanted me there with him and I felt so much a part of his/their day. After the service we moved to the Ferme des Sources for the real ceremony and the party. Their vows to each other were lovely and really showed me how grown up my baby brother is. I wonder if other people find the marriage of a younger sibling quite so surreal. Great party although I was pretty nervous about my speech so didn't eat or drink much until almost the end of the meal.
Speeches were entertaining, mainly because Belgian tradition is to wax lyrical about the couple while the British tradition is to lovingly poke fun. Looked a bit lopsided. I am entirely certain that Leo knows how much I love him and how happy I am to see him happy. I cried a lot this weekend, the first time being when we apologised to each other for arguing on the phone in the build up to the wedding. The last thing I ever want to do is upset him.
We danced until 3am. I was sorry our parents left early, think it made it look like the party was more about her parents than our parents but it was their call.
Was so glad that we had Monday to relax before heading back to work. I loved seeing my brother so happy and loved seeing his friends again, they're such a great group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment